Double Bagel Burger + Aye Pickled Potato Salad
Total cook time = 40mins
Experience = easy
So here is our no thrills easy burger recipe. We thought we would mix up a classic by using a bagel from Bross as the bun. The combination of sweetness from the bagel + saltiness of the meat is magical.
This recipe will easily serve 4 people (just use more bagels) but will also serve 2 if you are feeling particularly greedy.
It is worth noting - everything used in this recipe can be bought from the online store.
For the Burger:
1 x 4 pack steak burgers (Shaws Fine Meats)
1 x smoked bacon (Shaws Fine Meats)
100g cheddar (Connage Dairy)
100g gouda (Connage Dairy)
2 x bagels (Bross Bagels)
1 x bunch of cherry tomatoes
1 x oak leaf salad
1 x avocado
1 x cucumber
1 x ketchup (Stokes)
1 x mayo (Biona)
1 x onion
For the potato salad
2 x handfuls of new potatoes
1 x spring onion
1 x spicy roots (Aye Pickled)
1. Order everything from Romaine Calm - same day delivery before 11am to Edinburgh + Glasgow
2. Wash all of the veg.
3. Slice potatoes lengthways and put into pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes until slightly soft when prodded with a knife.
4. Slice the tomatoes, spring onions, cucumber, avocado, spicy beets, keep separated and set aside.
5. Slice the onions and add to a medium heat pan. Add some oil. Add a dash of salt + pepper and anything from the cupboard with a bit of colour, we used paprika. Once cooked set aside.
6. Season burgers with salt + pepper and add to the same pan as the onion. Cook for 4 minutes and then turn over. Test for firmness with your thumb. Once cooked set aside.
7. Add bacon to the pan and cook for 6 minutes.
8. Whilst the bacon is cooking add the cheese to the burger patties and put under the grill. DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED LIKE WE DID - there will be flames.
9. Once the bacon is cooked, set aside. Slice bagels in half and lightly fry in the bacon juices.
9. Time to build the burger. Start by laying a big leaf of lettuce on the base, add the tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, ketchup + mayo. Top with double burger patties + bacon. Before adding the bagel lid add some more ketchup + mayo.
10. By this time the potatoes should be cooler. Add a good couple of dollops of mayo, spring onions + spicy beets, season and stir well.
11. Enjoy with a nice cold beer.